Cut Glass Butter Dishes
The glass is perfect and the set looks to have been either seldom or even never used.
The case is complete but does have some external wear with some of the blue finish missing in places.
Dishes measures 100 mm in diameter and stand 24 mm tall, forks measure 116mm in length.
Very heavy, including case the set weighs 1062g.
The Glasgow Assay Office was officially established in 1819. However, it has a lengthy history reaching back to 1681. Official hallmarking was performed in Glasgow from about 1681 to 1710 although the Glasgow Assay Office was not officially recognised.
In 1819 the assay office in Glasgow was officially established. Serving the Glasgow area, the assay office routinely inspected, tested, and hallmarked precious metals. As more people became wealthier, the demand for precious metals increased as well. The Glasgow Assay Office served an important function during the Industrial Revolution and continued to serve the public through the Victorian era. However, the Glasgow Assay Office closed in 1964, leaving just four assay offices in the UK.